About eight months ago, a new friendship sprouted from seeds planted decades ago.
For years I have yearned for an official mentor relationship. I wanted to grow stronger in my faith but wanted someone to pave the way for me. I'm not exactly sure when this yearning to grow deeper in my walk started, but I always felt like someone had to be appointed to the position of teaching me how to do that!
I've shared this desire with a my husband and a few close friends, prayed about it and asked others to pray about it, yet my life coach never came knocking. Then one day I had a impromptu heart-to-heart with a wise woman of God that would have fit the bill. Her advice, "I don't think you need one."
What? Gee thanks a lot...well now what do I do?
Ok, well that didn't help. I still felt that longing to go deeper but now had no idea where to go for direction, if not to a mentor. Meanwhile, my quiet time was quiet. And studying the the Bible resembled a cram session at test time.
Instead of leaning into my DUH moment and surrendering to my Creator's knocking to be the one to fill the position, again I shared my desire with yet another friend. This time, however, was a different response.
Why, she felt the same way!
She was also feeling far too distracted by life.
She wanted depth.
She wanted accountability.
God has such a way of answering prayers. If it was direct, we would take it for granted. If it was miraculous, we'd write it off as a coincidence. And when it's not in the manner we expect, well then it must not be His will.
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28
I didn't need a mentor, I needed someone to join me on the journey. Together my friend and I are digging deep into the Word. Studying. Praying. Challenging each other. Encouraging each other. And even find ourselves giggling with delight in our discoveries!
Go figure. Knowledge doesn't just fall into your lap. Growth only comes with regular watering, pruning, and sunlight.
Truly finding God means you must seek Him.
This entry was posted
on 26 March 2012
at Monday, March 26, 2012
and is filed under
accountability,
growth,
mentor
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.
Up Close & Personal
- Erica
- Like many, I'm accustomed to wearing many hats throughout the day: wife, mother, designer, chef, vaccuum, oh and daughter of the King. Sometime I feel pretty ridiculous in my multiple costumes, but then I remember to put on my crown and realign myself with God who is also is my Father, Savior and King. The Master of infinite roles, picks me up, dusts me off, and wipes clean my lenses so that I can see His purpose is actually the perfect passion to pursue!